Board of Forestry to meet
The board will discuss statewide forestry issues from 8:30 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. on Monday, March 23, and from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Tuesday, March 24.
The forest fisheries forum will be held from 1:30 to 5 p.m. on Monday, March 23. The forum is being organized by board members and other stakeholders including the Southeast Alaska Fish Habitat Partnership. Speakers will address interactions between forestry and fisheries management and will discuss upcoming forestry-fisheries issues and opportunities to cooperate on management and research.
Topics for the regular board meeting will include:
• Proposed Fiscal Year 2016 forestry, forest practices, and monitoring budgets,
• Proposed 2015 legislation related to forestry,
• Reforestation standards review process for Interior and Southcentral Alaska,
• State consideration of assumption of authority for Section 404 wetlands program,
• Wood energy in Alaska and state timber sales for wood energy projects,
• Southeast State Forest Management Plan,
• Federal forest management in Alaska including reports on national forest planning, Roadless Rule implementation, Southeast land ownership initiatives, and The Working Forest Group,
• Annual forest practices compliance and effectiveness monitoring reports,
• Annual reports from the departments of Natural Resources, Environmental Conservation, and Fish and Game,
• Annual Board of Forestry report to the Governor regarding Forest Resources and Practices Act effectiveness,
• Overview of Kodiak Island timber operations,
• Petition to list Alaska yellow-cedar under the Endangered Species Act,
• Overview of Alaska Forest Resources and Practices Act (FRPA) history
• Overview of the FRPA Detailed Plan of Operation process, and
• Division of Forestry program updates.
Other forestry matters may be included on the agenda. The meeting is intended to comply with the requirements of AS 41.17.047(b) and (d).
Both events will be in the 2nd floor conference room of the Department of Environmental Conservation, located at 410 Willoughby Ave. in Juneau. Public comment is scheduled for Tuesday, March 24 at 1:30 p.m.
Teleconference sites will be available in Anchorage and Fairbanks. The Anchorage teleconference location is the Division of Forestry conference room located in Suite 1450 of the Atwood Building, located at 550 W. 7th Ave. The Fairbanks site is the medium-size conference room of the DNR Fairbanks office located at 3700 Airport Way.
Anyone outside of Anchorage, Fairbanks, or Juneau who would like to participate in the teleconference should contact Marty Freeman at the Division of Forestry in Anchorage at email@example.com or call her at 269-8467 no later than noon on Wednesday, March 18. If no one has contacted Marty and no one is present at a teleconference site by 9 a.m., the teleconference may be terminated at that site.
For additional information about the meeting and forum, or for special accommodations due to audio or visual impairment, contact Freeman using the contact information above. Any individuals wishing to receive announcements of future Board of Forestry meetings by e-mail or in hard copy should contact Freeman to be added to the mailing list.
Edited by Mary Kauffman, SitNews
Source of News:
Alaska Department of Natural Resources
Stories In The News
Articles & photographs that appear in SitNews may be protected by copyright and may not be reprinted without written permission from and payment of any required fees to the proper sources.
E-mail your news & photos to firstname.lastname@example.org
Photographers choosing to submit photographs for publication to SitNews are in doing so granting their permission for publication and for archiving. SitNews does not sell photographs. All requests for purchasing a photograph will be emailed to the photographer.