SitNews - Stories in the News - Ketchikan, Alaska


Food handler cards
By George Tipton


March 21, 2011

Cynthia Moyer wanted to know more about food handler cards issued by the State.

Every employee that handles food must have one within 30 days of being hired or  prior to employment in Anchorage. This can be a Deli employee, cook, food prep employee and basically any person handling food to be served to the Public.   Before the card is issued you must take a test and pass it as well as paying the $10 per person.  In addition, a supervisory restaurant employee must have a Serve Safe Certificate, which is obtained by attending an 8 hour class instructed by a trained CHARR instructor.  I keep a copy of all certificates for my employees as part of their Personnel file so in case they do not have it with them that day, it is still on location.  I also keep a tickler file so we know when they need to renew their food handlers or TAMS cards or their Serve Safe Certificates.  ADEC performs periodic inspections and this is one of the areas they check and score an establishment on.  

Alaska CHARR with the help of Ketchikan CHARR and former Representative Bill Williams was instrumental in getting this legislation passed for the betterment of our industry and the safety of the General Public.

George Tipton
Owner – Godfather's Pizza & My Office Sports Bar
Ketchikan, AK


Received March 20, 2011 - Published March 21, 2011


Related Viewpoint:

letter Food Handler Permits By Cynthia Moyer

Viewpoints - Opinion Letters:

letter Webmail Your Opinion Letter to the Editor



Note: Comments published on Viewpoints are the opinions of the writer
and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sitnews.


E-mail your letters & opinions to
Your full name, city and state are required for letter publication.

SitNews ©2011
Stories In The News
Ketchikan, Alaska