Candidate for Ketchikan School Board
3 Year Term, 3 Seats Open
Ketchikan Regular Election
October 06, 2015
Published: September 12, 2015
Received: September 11, 2015
Thank you for taking the time to learn more about my desire to serve you as a member of the Ketchikan Gateway Borough School Board. I am a father of three active young men ages 17, 15, and 11 who are all attending three different schools in our district. We are honored to call Ketchikan home for three years and very much enjoy being part of the community. My childhood home is Manassas, VA and have lived in North Carolina, Western NY, and Texas. These varied geographies have given me a unique perspective on many aspects of communities but I do love Ketchikan and appreciate how truly amazing it is. I hope you find this information helpful and thank you for considering me for your vote.
Although I see little need for major agenda shifts in our district today, we will likely face hard choices over the next three years due to decreased funding from the state budget. I remain optimistic that strong leadership combined with innovation and creativity will keep our schools great.
Matt at a Glance:
- Employment: PeaceHealth Ketchikan Medical Center, Executive Director of Community Health Development and Foundation
- Community Involvement: President, Big Brothers and Big Sisters Leadership Council, Vice President of Senior Little League Baseball, Little League and high school baseball umpire, Chamber of Commerce, and school volunteer.
- Education: B.S. Human Biology, Advanced Degree in Cardiovascular Technology, Masters of Divinity. (Geneva College and Northeastern Seminary)
- Hometown: Manassas, Virginia
- Age: 42
My priorities will always be centered on people:
- Retaining and recruiting the best and brightest staff and teachers is an essential priority. Our district must remain THE place great teachers want to work in Alaska.
- In today’s age of health challenges, students, staff, and teachers should also be encouraged and given tools to remain emotionally and physically healthy; the building environment, education, and extracurricular activities are essential to this end.
- All this can all be done while remaining fiscally accountable to the people who pay the bills…you.
What my experience brings to the board:
- Health and Healthcare Reform Expertise: I am currently the Executive Director of Community Health Development and Foundation at PeaceHealth Ketchikan Medical Center. My job has taken me all over the country, state, and here locally, speaking on healthcare trends and how best to handle these major changes. Applying this knowledge and passion for healthy communities will bring value to our students and school system. Additionally, health care costs are a major expenditure to the district, I will investigate these costs and check the appropriateness and value of these benefits for our employees.
- Advocacy for Youth and our Community: Testifying in front of the State House Finance Committee in Juneau and advancing innovation by speaking with other national stakeholders are examples of my passion for advocacy and ability to bridge differences. I am a strong advocate locally for children as President of the Big Brothers-Big Sisters leadership council and my involvement in the Ketchikan Little League as a league Vice President. (Most of all, I love coaching and managing my own kids’ teams.) My experience also puts me in a good place to work with the Borough Assembly in negotiating budgets to finding common ground for shared success. I am interested in improving this relationship.
- Calm, Thoughtful, and Clear Leadership: Those who know me well understand that I am a clear, calm, and thoughtful leader. Using information and data to make good decisions while staying connected personally with those around me is central to my successful leadership. I want to serve you and be available/accessible for your input to the process of governing our school district.
This page is paid for by "Friends to Elect Matt Eisenhower for School Board".
(SitNews Editor's Note: All local candidates for Ketchikan's upcoming election are provided free web pages and equal publication opportunity.)
Vist me on FaceBook:
Like me on FaceBook, Click on Like to Like me on FaceBook...
Comments will be published on your FaceBook page.
This is the 13th year, Sitnews had provided a FREE web page to all local 2015 Ketchikan candidates.
1. Local candidates are requested to provide basic background information, experience and qualifications for the public office for which they seek.
2. Candidates are requested to address what they would like to accomplish if elected and issues of concern.
3. Send Photographs
4. Include your FaceBook address
Email to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 30, 2015
Contact the Editor
Publish A Letter in SitNews
Stories In The News
photographs that appear in SitNews may be protected by copyright
and may not be reprinted without written permission from and
payment of any required fees to the proper sources.
E-mail your news &
photos to email@example.com
Photographers choosing to submit photographs for publication to SitNews are in doing so granting their permission for publication and for archiving. SitNews does not sell photographs. All requests for purchasing a photograph will be emailed to the photographer.