New House Majority Caucus Announces Committee Chairs
November 10, 2016
(SitNews) Anchorage, Alaska - The 22 members of the new House Majority Caucus in the Alaska House of Representatives have selected a bipartisan group of lawmakers to chair the committees that will addresses needed legislation during the upcoming 30th Alaska Legislature, which begins in January.
"Our caucus includes a diverse mix of new and experienced lawmakers that bring with them the skills, work ethic, and fresh ideas we need in these troubling fiscal times," said Speaker-Elect Bryce Edgmon (D-Dillingham). "The men and women chosen to lead the committees over the next two years represent nearly every region of Alaska, including both rural and urban Alaska. They are tasked with doing the heavy lifting to move legislative solutions through the committee process and I have faith that they will work diligently and always put the best interests of the people of Alaska above the needs and wants of special interests and lobbyists."
The members of the new House Majority Caucus have come together with a shared goal to overcome Alaska's fiscal challenges. Additionally, they are committed to hearing all needed legislation with ample input from the people of Alaska.
Below is the list of the committee chairs for the 30th Alaska State Legislature. The full membership of the various committees will be decided once the Legislature convenes on January 17, 2017.
Standing Committee chairs are:
- Resources Co-Chairs – Rep. Geran Tarr (D-Anchorage), Rep. Andy Josephson (D-Anchorage)
- Judiciary – Rep. Matt Claman (D-Anchorage)
- Labor & Commerce – Rep. Sam Kito (D-Juneau)
- State Affairs – Rep. Jonathan Kreiss-Tomkins (D-Sitka)
- Community & Regional Affairs Co-Chairs – Rep. Zach Fansler (D-Bethel), Rep. Justin Parish (D-Juneau)
- Education – Rep. Harriet Drummond (D-Anchorage)
- Health & Social Services – Rep. Ivy Spohnholz (D-Anchorage)
- Transportation Co-Chairs– Rep. Louise Stutes (R-Kodiak), Rep. Adam Wool (D-Fairbanks)
Joint Committee chairs are:
- Legislative Budget & Audit Vice-Chair – Rep. Andy Josephson (D-Anchorage)
- Legislative Council – Rep. Sam Kito (D-Juneau)
- Select Committee on Legislative Ethics – Rep. Chris Tuck (D-Anchorage)
- Armed Services – House Co-Chair, Rep. Scott Kawasaki (D-Fairbanks)
Special Committee chairs are:
- Energy – Rep. Adam Wool (D-Fairbanks)
- Fisheries – Rep. Louise Stutes (R-Kodiak)
- Military & Veterans Affairs – Rep. Jason Grenn (I-Anchorage)
- Economic Development, Tourism, and Arctic Policy – Rep. Dean Westlake (D-Kotzebue)
Editing by Mary Kauffman, SitNews
Source of News:
Alaska House Majority Caucus
Representations of fact and opinions in comments posted are solely those of the individual posters and do not represent the opinions of Sitnews.
Contact the Editor
Submit A Letter to SitNews
Stories In The News
photographs that appear in SitNews may be protected by copyright
and may not be reprinted without written permission from and
payment of any required fees to the proper sources.
E-mail your news &
photos to email@example.com
Photographers choosing to submit photographs for publication to SitNews are in doing so granting their permission for publication and for archiving. SitNews does not sell photographs. All requests for purchasing a photograph will be emailed to the photographer.