No injuries in Rosa Reef area fire; Structure a total loss
October 18, 2016
Updated: Tuesday PM
(SitNews) Ketchikan, Alaska - At approximately 4:00 AM Sunday morning Karen Horn said she heard an explosion. Horn, living just north of Ketchikan, said she looked out her window and saw a house across Tongass Narrows on Gravina Island had exploded into flames.
The structure fire in the Rosa Reef area on Gravina Island as photographed just north of Ketchikan by Karen Horn.
The M/V Harry Newell responded early Sunday morning to a report of the structure fire in the Rosa Reef area on Gravina Island. The fire was initialy reported by the occupant who advised that everyone was out of the house.
The Ketchikan Fire Department reported on its FaceBook page, that no one was injured; however, the structure was a total loss.
Update: The fire boat M/V Harry Newell responded with a crew of four. According to a Ketchikan Fire Department press release, when the crew arrived on scene the structure was fully involved and the only occupant was out of the house waiting on the beach.
The Ketchikan Fire Department reported they believe the fire was caused by a candle that was left burning overnight as a light source.
Photo courtesy Ketchikan Fire Department
The limited manpower, distance of the structure from the shore and extent of fire upon arrival an offensive attack by the fire crew was not possible. Using buckets, fire department personnel extinguished a small fire on a stack of nearby lumber. They also disconnected and removed a portion of wooden walkway from the involved structure to ensure the fire would not spread along the walkway to other nearby outbuildings. The fire was allowed to burn down to a level that responders were comfortable it would not spread to any other structures before returning to Ketchikan.
Due to the extent of the damage and lack of access to fully extinguish and cool the fire a full cause and origin investigation was not possible, however based on statements from the occupant the Ketchikan Fire Department reported it believed that the fire was caused by a candle that was left burning overnight as a light source.
The Harry Newell returned to Ketchikan at around 7:30 AM Sunday.
A close up of the structure fire in the Rosa Reef area on Gravina Island as photograph by fire crew of the M/V Harry Newell.
Photograph courtesy Ketchikan Fire Department
Reporting & Editing by Mary Kauffman, SitNews
Source of News:
Ketchikan Fire Department
Representations of fact and opinions in comments posted are solely those of the individual posters and do not represent the opinions of Sitnews.
Contact the Editor
Submit A Letter to SitNews
Stories In The News
photographs that appear in SitNews may be protected by copyright
and may not be reprinted without written permission from and
payment of any required fees to the proper sources.
E-mail your news &
photos to firstname.lastname@example.org
Photographers choosing to submit photographs for publication to SitNews are in doing so granting their permission for publication and for archiving. SitNews does not sell photographs. All requests for purchasing a photograph will be emailed to the photographer.