Fire Crews Responds to Dryer Fire
October 10, 2016
Pictured: Firefighters Tracy Mettler, Andy Tighe and Jesse Austin.
Approximately 10 people were in the building at the time of the fire and all had evacuated safely prior to the fire crews' arrival. The Crew extinguished the interior fire quickly using a fire extinguisher. Smoldering clothing was removed from a dryer and taken outside and extinguished using a hose line. Crews used the thermal imager camera to check for any additional hot spots
Mutual aid was requested from both North Tongass Volunteer Fire and South Tongass Volunteer Fire Departments.
The fire appears to be caused by clothing that ignited during drying.
There was moderate fire damage to the dryer, and the contents of the dryer were a total loss.
The Ketchikan Fire Department would like remind everyone to never leave a dryer unattended while in use, and always follow manufacturer instructions when washing your clothing.
No injuries to the occupants or firefighters were reported. The Highliner Laundromat is located in the 2700 block of North Tongass Ave.
Reporting & Editing by Mary Kauffman, SitNews
Source of News:
Representations of fact and opinions in comments posted are solely those of the individual posters and do not represent the opinions of Sitnews.