SitNews - Stories in the News - Ketchikan, Alaska


October is Fire Safety Month


October 24, 2007

Ketchikan, Alaska - With winter almost here and the Holiday seasons approaching, the Ketchikan Fire Department would like to remind everyone to make sure their smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors are working properly, are installed in the proper locations, and have adequate power supplies. like new batteries.

jpg fire safety

Point Higgins sixth grader Alex Beaver extinguishing a fire after learning how to use a fire extinguisher. Sixth graders at Point Higgins will be presenting their own Fire Safety Presentations to younger classes on Friday. October is National Fire Safety Month.
Photographer is sixth grader Kage Zink

Carbon Monoxide (CO)
is a silent killer. It is an odorless, colorless, and tasteless and toxic gas that is a by-product of incomplete combustion. Because it is impossible to see, taste, or smell, CO can kill you before you even know it's present. Each year in the United States, carbon monoxide poisoning claims more than 500 lives.

Carbon Monoxide comes from many different sources. Gas fired appliances, oil furnaces, charcoal grills, wood stoves, and motor vehicles.

Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning can include flu like symptoms such as: headache, dizziness, confusion, nausea, fatigue, unconsciousness, and even death. Homeowners, renters, and boat owner/ live-aboards need to have working smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors. If you suspect the presence of carbon monoxide or carbon monoxide poisoning, evacuate the premises immediately and call the Fire Department.

Carbon monoxide detectors are required by Alaska State law in any residence that has fuel fired heating and cooking equipment and now is the time to prevent a needless death or illness. So, take a few minutes and:

Never use the furnace room/ water heater room for storage. Stored items can obstruct proper ventilation to fuel-fired equipment.

Have your heating and cooking equipment serviced by a professional annually.

Never use charcoal or similar products indoors.

Make sure flues and dampers are cleared of obstructions and animals.

Never leave automobile engines running inside of garages or carports.

Never use your oven to heat your home.

If you have an emergency, the number to call anywhere on the island is "911".


E-mail your news & photos to

Publish A Letter in SitNews
        Read Letters/Opinions

Contact the Editor

SitNews ©2007
Stories In The News
Ketchikan, Alaska