SitNews - Stories in the News - Ketchikan, Alaska


No one injured in home fire


October 02, 2006

Ketchikan, Alaska - According to information released by Jim Hill, Assistant Fire Chief of the Ketchikan Fire Department, just after 8:00 PM on Saturday , KFD received a 911 call reporting a fire at 212 Tatsuda. At that time, the caller(s) reported a woman and baby were still inside the residence.

jpg Fire at 212 Tatsuda

Fire on Saturday, September 30, 2006, at 212 Tatsuda --
the 500 block of Stedman Street.
Photograph by Carl Thompson ©2006

Within three minutes of the notification Hill said the first KFD unit arrived on scene and reported that the house was "fully involved" in fire. Hill said initial arriving units and Ketchikan Police Department officers on scene reported the entire family was out and safe.

Additional units arrived and a second alarm was sounded and mutual aid assistance was requested from the South Tongass and North Tongass Volunteer Fire Departments. Nineteen Ketchikan Fire Department personnel responded and as many personnel from the North Tongass Volunteer Fire Department assisted. According to STVFD Fire Chief Scott Davis, twenty-five personnel from the South Tongass Volunteer Fire Department assisted.

Hill said because of the size of the fire and the confirmation that all the residents had escaped, the initial fire attack was directed at the adjacent house located about 3 feet away at 507 Stedman Street. Hill said, "Firefighters saved the adjacent home and damage to this adjacent house appears (at this time) to be limited to some minor water damage. The residence at 212 Tatsuda appears to be a total loss."

Hill said, "The stubborn fire was brought under control at about 9:15 PM." He said, members of the Ketchikan Fire Department remained on scene all night to prevent the fire from flaring up and fire investigators from the Ketchikan Fire and Police Departments were on the scene at 7:30 AM Sunday to determine the cause of the fire.

No injuries were reported by any fire suppression personnel and the family was evaluated by EMT's on scene and released. According to neighbors, the family was renting the home One dog was lost in the fire and one dog survived.

The alarm was recalled at 12:21 AM and units were placed back in service.



E-mail your news & photos to

Publish A Letter on SitNews
        Read Letters/Opinions

Contact the Editor

Stories In The News
Ketchikan, Alaska