SitNews - Stories in the News - Ketchikan, Alaska

Fire Causes Evacuation and Minor Damage


September 15, 2012

(SitNews) Ketchikan, Alaska - Late Thursday night at 11:52 PM, the first call came in to 911 dispatchers with the caller reporting “smoke and flames in the building” at 2415 Hemlock, the Marine View building.  According to Fire Chief Frank Share of the Ketchikan Fire Department, firefighters arrived on scene in three minutes and reported smoke showing from the third floor.

Upon arrival, firefighters were told that there may have been occupants in the third floor apartment but upon entry firefighters found no one left in the involved Marine View apartment. The building was evacuated and the fire was quickly put under control.

Chief Share said the fire was caused by a pan left on the stove and the fire was contained in the kitchen and apartment of origin. Fire crews worked until 2:43 AM performing ventilation of all eleven floors and water clean-up on the first three floors of the Marine View.

Twenty one Ketchikan Fire Department members responded with nine units along with mutual aid provided by North and South Tongass Volunteer Fire Departments.

There was one minor injury sustained at the fire by a civilian.

Chief Share would like to remind readers to “Check their Smoke Alarms” and “Have an Escape Plan” with their families.


Edited by Mary Kauffman, SitNews


Source of News: 

Ketchikan Fire Department


E-mail your news & photos to

Publish A Letter in SitNews

Contact the Editor

SitNews ©2012
Stories In The News
Ketchikan, Alaska

 Articles & photographs that appear in SitNews may be protected by copyright and may not be reprinted without written permission from and payment of any required fees to the proper sources.