SitNews - Stories in the News - Ketchikan, Alaska

Electric Baseboard Heater Causes Fire Damage


August 17, 2011

(SitNews) Ketchikan, Alaska – City of Ketchikan Fire Chief Frank Share said the Ketchikan firefighters were busy Wednesday afternoon.

The first call came in to 911 dispatchers at 2:14 PM with a caller reporting “smoke and flames coming from the third floor windows” at 1650 Tongass Avenue, the Trident bunkhouse.  First arriving units were on the scene in less than two minutes.  When firefighters arrived, all of the occupants were safely outside and smoke was showing from the third floor. 

Firefighters extinguished the fire quickly. Due to properly operating sprinklers and a short response time the fire at the Trident bunkhouse was contained to the room of origin and damage was minimal to the structure.

The cause of the fire was a dresser too close to the electric baseboard heat radiator.  17 Ketchikan Fire Department members responded along with mutual aid provided by North and South Tongass Volunteer Fire Departments.

The City of Ketchikan Building Officials are working with the owner of the bunkhouse to make repairs. 

Ketchikan Fire Department personnel also responded to two other emergencies during the fire.

No injuries were reported.

Chief Share reminds everyone to be sure to check smoke alarms and have an escape plan with your families.



Source of News: 

Ketchikan Fire Department


E-mail your news & photos to

Publish A Letter in SitNews         Read Letters/Opinions

Contact the Editor

SitNews ©2011
Stories In The News
Ketchikan, Alaska

 Articles & photographs that appear in SitNews may be protected by copyright and may not be reprinted without written permission from and payment of any required fees to the proper sources.