Home fire likely caused by fire works
July 01, 2011
The first units arrived on the scene at 1:31 pm. Captain Scott Jackson assumed incident command and formed a plan for rescue. At 1:37 pm Captain Jackson had determined no occupants were trapped inside the structure and efforts were then directed towards an offensive fire attack. The fire was brought under control at approximately 2:00 pm and extinguished at 2:21 pm.
Mutual aid from the Ketchikan Fire Department and North Tongass Volunteer Fire department was requested early in the call. Chief Share and four firefighters from the Ketchikan Fire Department along with Chief Hull and nine firefighters from the North Tongass Volunteer Fire Department also responded.
One individual on the scene was assessed in the ambulance by the EMT's for smoke inhalation. Transport to the hospital was refused.
According Chief Scott Davis of the South Tongass Volunteer Fire Department, Thursday's early morning fire was determined to have started on a deck between the residential structure and an out-building. The fire spread from the deck to the out building and then to the residential structure by way of the attic and window. Fire damage to the out building and attic of the residence was extensive. Smoke damage throughout the residential structure was extensive.
The cause of the fire was determined to be most likely fireworks. Chief Davis said the damage is estimated at $120,000.
Davis reminded residents that the possession or lighting of fireworks is unlawful within the Ketchikan area without the proper permits. Chief Davis said, "And, as always, please test your smoke detectors and have an escape plan for your home that you practice regularly."
Source of News: