SitNews - Stories in the News - Ketchikan, Alaska


Improper disposal of smoking materials believed to be cause of house fire


July 17, 2009

The Ketchikan Fire Department responded to a report of "a house fire with flames showing" in the vicinity of Thomas Basin Tuesday evening. Fire Department personnel received the call at At 8:06 PM and arrived at 8:12 PM and found smoke coming from the lower level of an occupied 8-plex at 117 Inman Street.

According to information provided in a news release by Fire Chief Jim Hill, because of difficult access due to the stair-street location of the building, a 2nd alarm was requested by incident commanders calling for all Ketchikan Fire Department (KFD) personnel to respond. With the assistance of Ketchikan Police officers, KFD personnel were able to quickly access and extinguish the fire.

Chief Hill said a total of 7 fire apparatus and 17 KFD personnel responded to the scene. All personnel had cleared the scene by 8:46 PM.

Hill said damage to the 8-plex was limited to about $5,000 and there we no injuries reported. Improper disposal of smoking materials is believed to be the cause of the fire.

The three story 8-plex is owned by Tom Kroscavage of Ketchikan.


Source of News:

Ketchikan Fire Department


E-mail your news & photos to

Publish A Letter in SitNews         Read Letters/Opinions

Contact the Editor

SitNews ©2009
Stories In The News
Ketchikan, Alaska