July 16, 2008
The flotilla received a 27-foot rescue boat in the spring, designed by SAFE Boat International, to support the Coast Guard missions.
The Petersburg Flotilla perform operations in the Wrangell Narrows, Duncan Canal, Frederick Sound and Sumner Strait.
The Coast Guard Auxiliary was established by Congress in 1939 and now has more than 28,000 volunteers. The auxiliary participates in many Coast Guard missions including vessel safety checks, harbor patrols, safe boating courses, search and rescue and marine environmental protection to name a few.
Each year, Auxiliarists volunteer more than two million hours. To learn more about the Coast Auxiliary visit www.cgaux.org.
Any interested volunteers who live in the Petersburg area should contact the Petersburg Auxiliary Flotilla leader Linda Wells at (907) 518-0626.
Source of News:
Publish A Letter in SitNews Read Letters/Opinions