Fundraising efforts planned
to help family who lost home to fire
May 21, 2004
Ketchikan, AK - It was a blessing that no one was injured during
the fire that completely destroyed Kathleen Diggs' home at 210
Strawberry Road last Friday morning. A week ago, three people
lived in the home, one a child. Now their home, clothing, furniture
and all their belongings are gone - but not their friends and
neighbors and not their community.
The Diggs' home was
lost along with everything in it last Friday morning - there
are no longer any walls, some of the floor has fallen in and
half the roof has collapsed.
Photo courtesy Danielle Miller
Fundraising efforts have been underway for the past week to bring
the community together in helping this family who lost their
home to fire. Friends and neighbors of the Diggs' family have
organized a car wash fundraising event in the community and have
also set up fire relief trust accounts for the Diggs family at
Tongass Federal Credit Union and First Bank where donations can
be made by community members.
Collection cans for fire relief
donations to the family have have also been placed at the following
locations: Lighthouse Grocery, North Tongass Texaco, Service
Auto Parts, Newtown Liquor Store, Murray Pacific, Dockside Diner,
Steamers,and Tatsuda's IGA.
The car wash fundraising will
be held on Saturday by Laidlaw in the Carrs parking lot from
10 am to 2 pm. Laidlaw is also accepting donations of household
items (kitchen items, furniture, etc.) at their bus terminal
Monday - Friday from 6am to 5pm. Laidlaw will store the items
for the family until they have another place to live and then
they will deliver the items to them.
E-mail your news &
photos to firstname.lastname@example.org
Post a Comment
an Opinion - Letter
Stories In The News