SitNews - Stories in the News - Ketchikan, Alaska

IFA Assures Traveling Public of Continued Service;
IFA Determining the Effects of No Funding from Alaska Legislature for FY2014


April 22, 2013
Monday PM

(SitNews) Hollis, Alaska – At the close of the Alaska Legislative session funding for the Inter-island Ferry Authority (IFA), which provides daily passenger and vehicle ferry service between Prince of Wales Island and Ketchikan, was not included in State budgets passed by lawmakers. 

The Inter-island Ferry Authority (IFA) operation is able to cover 75% of its annual 4 million dollar budget through ticket sales but must rely on State and Federal funding for the remaining 25%.  Absence of any level of funding from the State presents a significant financial challenge to IFA management and Board of Directors according to information provided by Dennis Watson, General Manager of the Inter-island Ferry Authority.

Watson said full effort is now being directed toward seeking alternative funding sources and determining what other options are available to this small ferry system that started out as a new idea eleven years ago and has grown into a model for reliable and efficient delivery of public transportation service in rural Alaska.

Watson assures the public that every feasible avenue is being explored to maintain the current level of service.  “We are diligently working to determine options available to IFA at this time” he stated.  “We face some difficult decisions over the next few months but I want to assure our users there will be plenty of notice if those decisions require any significant change to our current operations.” 

Watson further commented that increases to IFA tariffs are not being considered at this time.


Edited by Mary Kauffman, SitNews

Source of News: 

Inter-island Ferry Authority (IFA)

E-mail your news & photos to

Publish A Letter in SitNews

Contact the Editor

SitNews ©2013
Stories In The News
Ketchikan, Alaska

 Articles & photographs that appear in SitNews may be protected by copyright and may not be reprinted without written permission from and payment of any required fees to the proper sources.