SitNews - Stories in the News - Ketchikan, Alaska

Smoke Alarms Save Wasilla Couple in Early Morning Fire


April 26, 2011

(SitNews) Wasilla, Alaska - Smoke alarms woke two Valley residents in time to escape a fire in the first floor of their three story home on Emperor Goose Circle in the Wasilla area. The couple called 911 and reported being awakened by smoke alarms and heavy smoke conditions in their home at approximately 1:30 am Tuesday morning. Fire units from four Central Mat-Su Fire Department stations responded to the fire and were able to quickly bring the fire under control. One first floor bedroom received extensive fire damage while the rest of the home sustained heat and smoke damage.

After preliminary investigation, the probable cause of the fire was narrowed down to two portable electric heaters being used to heat the room where the fire started. Several extension cords and other heaters were being used to heat the first floor of the home.

The Alaska Division of Fire and Life Safety reminds Alaskans that portable space heaters should not be used as full time heaters and should be kept at least three feet from combustibles. Using extension cords to power electric heaters can cause the cords to overheat and become a fire hazard.

Proper use of portable heaters could have prevented this fire, but having working smoke alarms did save the home owner's lives.

Alaska State Fire Marshal David Tyler adds, "Fire safe behavior can keep a fire from starting. Working smoke alarms, planning and practicing your fire escape plan and adding residential fire suppression sprinklers can ensure your family's safety in case of a fire."



Source of News: 

Alaska Department of Public Safety


E-mail your news & photos to

Publish A Letter in SitNews         Read Letters/Opinions

Contact the Editor

SitNews ©2011
Stories In The News
Ketchikan, Alaska