by Tyrell Rettke
April 07, 2005
I came across a site recently that opened my eyes to the threat of which I speak: Dihydrogen Monoxide. The name alone sounds toxic, doesn't it? The following information is taken from the site: http://www.dhmo.org/
Dihydrogen Monoxide can be highly volatile chemical compound, depending on its state of matter. In a solid, it can cause serious damage to the soft tissues of human flesh. In a gas, it can burn you severely. In its liquid format, it is used in various industries, from Nuclear Power Plants, to Fish Canneries.
Yes even our Canneries here in town use this noxious compound! It's used in many areas here in Ketchikan, all the construction companies use it, as well as all the hair salons! Even the grocery stores use it to a degree!
Here are some other uses of DHMO:
This group, DHMO.org, wants to ban its use commercially and industrially, what do you all think about this? Any industry officials care to explain their actions in using this substance in our community?
and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sitnews.