Gift Shop Volunteers Give Almost $54,000 to Fund KMC projects
March 18, 2019
(SitNews) Ketchikan, Alaska - The Gift Shop at the Ketchikan Medical Center is a little nook in the lobby full of lovely things – blankets and clothes for babies, socks, jewelry and toys, purses, candy bars…and some wonderful volunteers who donate their time and talent to make it tick.
Each year the volunteers donate proceeds from the shop back to PeaceHealth Ketchikan. They met Saturday, March 9 and decided on 13 projects from a list submitted by various departments totaling $53,948.
Photo (left to right): Nadine Robertson, Carolyn Wilsie, Jeanne Sande,
Margaret Lynne, Ruth Tompsett, Marion Nell, Kathy Fitzgerald,
Melody Moniz, and Merri Lystad
Photo courtesy Ketchikan Medical Center
Here’s what they funded:
• Replaced a monitoring system for patients having endoscopies for the Anesthesia Department $9978
• Five bassinets to provide for safe sleep and transport in New Beginnings Labor and Delivery $15,110
• Two one-arm drive wheelchairs for residents in New Horizons Long Term Care who have mobility issues $2000
• Items to prevent transmission of unsanitary conditions for Home Health $1100
• A strap stander to help patients go from a sitting to a standing position directly from a wheelchair for Rehab Therapies $2260
• New tables, chairs, and storage carts in New Horizons for their family events $3800
• A vein finder for Med/Surg and ICU $5315
• Testing, tools, and supplies for Speech Therapy $2428
• Supplies for chemotherapy comfort baskets in the Infusion Suites. These include education materials, items that help reduce chemo side effects, and a quilt or fleece throw $3000
• Mitts and booties for cold therapy to reduce swelling in Physical Therapy $7826
• Supplies like large print New Testaments, bookmarks, and vases for Spiritual Care $316
• Agility ladders and hurdles for Physical Therapy $93
The Gift Shop has donated over $500,000 back to the Medical Center in the last twenty-plus years. Please thank them when you shop!
The Gift Shop is looking for more volunteers. Please contact the KMC Foundation office if you are interested. 228-8300 x7037
Source of News:
PeaceHealth Ketchikan Medical Center
|Representations of fact and opinions in comments posted are solely those of the individual posters and do not represent the opinions of Sitnews.
Submit A Letter to SitNews
Contact the Editor
Stories In The News
photographs that appear in SitNews are considered protected by copyright
and may not be reprinted without written permission from and
payment of any required fees to the proper freelance writers and subscription services.
E-mail your news &
photos to firstname.lastname@example.org
Photographers choosing to submit photographs for publication to SitNews are in doing so granting their permission for publication and for archiving. SitNews does not sell photographs. All requests for purchasing a photograph will be emailed to the photographer.