SitNews - Stories in the News - Ketchikan, Alaska


Food Safety/Food handler's card
By Anna Tollfeldt


March 07, 2011
Monday PM

Recently, I have noticed the lack of food safety in Ketchikan. Most people I know who work or have worked in a food handling environment are NEVER required to get their food handler's card. In fact, I've found it pretty rare to come across someone working in a restaurant with a food handler's card in this town. I myself have previously worked in a restaurant and I was never required (it wasn't even mentioned!) to get my food handler's card nor were any of my coworkers.

When I lived in the state of Washington, I got a job at a Jamba Juice (which really doesn't require a lot of diverse food handling skills since it's mostly dealing with frozen fruits and refrigerated goods) and I could not begin work without attaining a food safety card. I think it is CRUCIAL that those working in restaurants/other food handling environments know the rules to safe food handling, and it seems that there is a lack of that in Ketchikan. I personally would really like to see that change.

If you need to get your food handler's card, you can go to the State of Alaska website and take the food safety/food handler's card test to acquire a card at a fee of only $10. The card is valid for two years.

Anna Tollfeldt
Ketchikan, AK

About: "I am a 20 year old Ketchikan resident. Having learned about food safety in high school and being required to get a food handler's card in the state of Washington, I have concern about Ketchikan's food safety/food handling requirements."

Received March 06, 2011 - Published March 07, 2011




Viewpoints - Opinion Letters:

letter Webmail Your Opinion Letter to the Editor



Note: Comments published on Viewpoints are the opinions of the writer
and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sitnews.


E-mail your letters & opinions to
Your full name, city and state are required for letter publication.

SitNews ©2011
Stories In The News
Ketchikan, Alaska