Police Reform Legislation Pre-filed
January 15, 2021
(SitNews) Anchorage, Alaska - With the recent killings of George Floyd, Trayvon Martin, Breonna Taylor, Sandra Bland, Tony McDade (and so many others), the nation has drawn even greater attention to the use of police force, particularly within the Black, Indigenous, and People of Color communities.
Last week, Senator Elvi Gray-Jackson (D-Anchorage) pre-filed legislation to address this issue. Senator Gray-Jackson worked with the National Organization of Black Law Enforcement Executives, Anchorage Police Department Employees Association, Anchorage Police Department, and the Public Safety Employees Association to craft the legislation.
“Our nation has seen too many Americans die because of inadequate policing methods, and for far too long, people of color have been disproportionately the subject of policing injustice,” said Sen. Gray-Jackson. “By working with law enforcement, we can build better relationships and standards to prevent the over-policing of Black, Indigenous, and People of Color communities.”
The package, known as Turning Pain Into Progress (TPIP), has six components that were derived from the original 8 Can’t Wait national initiative:
- Bans the use of chokeholds
- Requires de-escalation procedures and provides a duty to intervene by officers that observe other officers violating practice standards
- Requires a peace officer to exhaust all possible alternatives and provide an oral warning before discharging a firearm
- Bans shooting at moving vehicles
- Requires comprehensive reporting by officers each time they use or threaten to use force, establishes a “use of force database” for Department of Public Safety, Department of Corrections, municipal officers, and municipal correctional officers, and requires those agencies to search the database before employing a new peace officer
- Requires the Department of Public Safety to publish certain policies and procedures on their website.
The 1st Regular Session is January 19 - May 19, 2021.
On the Web:
2021 Second Release of Prefile Bills and Resolutions pdf
Edited By Mary Kauffman, SitNews
Source of News:
Alaska Senate Democrats
Office of Senator Elvi Gray-Jackson
|Representations of fact and opinions in comments posted are solely those of the individual posters and do not represent the opinions of Sitnews.
Send a letter to the email@example.com
Contact the Editor
Stories In The News
photographs that appear in SitNews are considered protected by copyright
and may not be reprinted without written permission from and
payment of any required fees to the proper freelance writers and subscription services.
E-mail your news &
photos to firstname.lastname@example.org
Photographers choosing to submit photographs for publication to SitNews are in doing so granting their permission for publication and for archiving. SitNews does not sell photographs. All requests for purchasing a photograph will be emailed to the photographer.