70 DUI Arrests Over Holidays Statewide
January 05, 2012
(SitNews) - The December holiday DUI focused patrol effort concluded January 2, 2012. Alaska State Troopers conducted enhanced patrols surrounding the Christmas and New Year festivities from December 16th through January 2nd, to dissuade motorists from driving impaired. Troopers and local law enforcement agencies encourage motorists to continue making smart choices when getting behind the wheel of a motor vehicle.
During the overall enforcement effort, the Alaska State Troopers issued the following citations and charges:
- 70 DUI arrests, including seven felony DUIs
- 52 drivers charged with driving with a suspended or revoked license
- 16 additional drivers contacted who were reported as REDDI reports and ultimately determined not to be DUI
- Of the 416 crashes investigated by troopers, 50 people were injured and an additional three succumbed to their injuries
- Of the 671 citations issued, 98 were issued for speeding and 21 were issued for seatbelt or other occupant restraint violations
These focused enforcements are designed to boost public awareness regarding the dangers and potential consequences of impaired driving. The Alaska State Troopers, as well as local law enforcement agencies, believe that high visibility enforcement will deter motorists from getting behind the wheel while impaired. It is the mission of the Alaska Bureau of Highway Patrol to bring the number of fatal and major injury collisions down to zero. These focused enforcement efforts are one of the ways AST is combating the issue.
Funding for the focused enforcement was provided in part by grant sources distributed through Alaska Highway Safety Office.
On the Web:
Source of News:
Alaska Department of Public Safety
E-mail your news &
photos to firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact the Editor
Publish A Letter in SitNews Read Letters/Opinions
Stories In The News
photographs that appear in SitNews may be protected by copyright
and may not be reprinted without written permission from and
payment of any required fees to the proper sources.