SitNews - Stories in the News - Ketchikan, Alaska


Faulty Wiring Causes Fire Damage


January 14, 2011
Friday PM

(SitNews) - Ketchikan firefighters got off to an early start at a Friday morning house fire at 935 Nordstrom Drive #303.

According to Ketchikan Fire Chief Jim Hill, the call came in to 911 dispatchers at 7:15 AM Friday and the caller reported “..smoke coming from under the eves.”.  Hill reported that the first arriving units were on the scene in less than two minutes.  When firefighters arrived, all of the occupants were safely outside said Hill.

The owners of the home reported that earlier Thursday evening electrical breakers were “popping”.

Chief Hill said firefighters used Thermal Imaging equipment to find the location of the fire in the ceiling area of the living room, electrical service was shut down to the residence by Ketchikan Public Utilities (KPU) Linemen, and the fire was extinguished quickly.  Smoke damage was minimal but preliminary fire-loss estimates are $40,000 with $30,000 damage to the structure and about $10,000 in damages to the contents of the residence said Hill.

Ketchikan Fire Department cleared the scene at 8:30 AM and City of Ketchikan Building Officials were working with the homeowner to make repairs.  The cause of the fire is believed to be electrical said Hill.  Responding to the fire were 14 Ketchikan Fire Department members and 6 pieces of apparatus.

Chief Hill would like to remind citizens to check their smoke alarms and to have an escape plan for their families.


Source of News:

City of Ketchikan Fire Department

E-mail your news & photos to

Publish A Letter in SitNews         Read Letters/Opinions

Contact the Editor

SitNews ©2011
Stories In The News
Ketchikan, Alaska